Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THE UNKNOWN



THE UNKNOWN

It was this year a few months back, when I was at the Calcutta airport, to catch my flight for Bangalore, for giving my interview in a law college. I was with my dad. The security checks and luggage deposits were done and we were off to the departure room. We were pretty early, about half an hour and I was just sitting and reading the newspaper, when a girl walked into the hall and sat beside me. I didn’t quite notice her initially, but then suddenly she asked me for the daily supplement of the paper. I just looked at her and I was totally taken to surprise by her beauty. She was a flawless beauty, a fairy or maybe even prettier. I was speechless and I just gave her the supplement. I wanted to ask her name, talk to her. My mind was jumping into her eyes, her nose, and her lips. I told myself to calm down and sit back, relax and take it the easy way. Then I thought, I just can’t pretend to be cool. I knew I am not beautiful, I mean I am no match for her in any case. She was like the horizon, and by horizon I mean, the very look of her gave the obvious feeling that it’s impossible to make it up to her. Even after all those hustle in my mind I just wanted to talk to her once, before I go away from her. I started having weird ideas, regarding my entry. First I thought of asking her destination, and then I realized that it’s such a clichéd question. I wanted be different, from other people. I wanted to do something that would keep me intact in her memories for at least a day. Time was running out, so if had to do something complicated I needed to do it immediately. Then suddenly a spring sprouted out of my brain. I just saw her yawn a couple of times. So I thought how about a cup of coffee, then I thought what if she denies. Then I thought, alright I just buy it and offer, then just for decency she won’t deny, and with that scope I can start talking and introduce myself. So I got up and approached the coffee shop, looked back at my dad, he was terribly submerged in the newspaper. I found the area clear and bought two cups of coffee. I turned back and she was gone. She left the paper on my seat. I just briskly walked to my seat and browsed throughout the hall to find her, checked the washroom door but she wasn’t there. A weird feeling hit my heart, as if I just lost something so important. Funny I didn’t even know her and yet I was hurt. My dad saw the cup in my hand. He smiled and said, “Ah son, thank you for bringing some coffee for me”. I didn’t reply anything since I was so much into the other scene of the movie. I sat back, kept the coffee on the holder and took the supplement to read it with dim eyes.

“Sorry I couldn’t have the coffee, had a flight to catch. 09432112156. That seems like my number. Thanks for lending the supplement. “, was what I read on the top corner of the supplement.” Welcome dad”, I said then and took out the mobile to save the number as “The Unknown”.


2 comments:

ShReyA said...

different....
somewhere i think som thoughts could be beter expresed...but nice work.
well done.

Rob said...

This is a story about a very vague affair.